Does hydrogen peroxide in ear have side effects? Get more insights on the benefits and uses of hydrogen peroxide in ear, removal of wax, treatment of ear infection, and cold and flu prevention among other uses.
Hydrogen Peroxide in Ear Benefits and Uses
Hydrogen peroxide is a useful chemical that is effective in the treatment of infections, pain and cuts. It is much affordable and easily available over the counter. This reactive chemical is a key component in every first aid kit and medicine cabinets.
There are many benefits derived from the application of hydrogen peroxide in ear which include the following:
- Excessive ear wax removal: Accumulation of wax in the ear is normal although it can lead to various problems such as impacted ear wax, temporal deafness and ear infection. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to soften such wax making it easily removed.
- Treatment of ear infection: Application of hydrogen peroxide in ear can help in killing of disease causing microorganisms such as bacteria.
- Pain Killer: This chemical element is good for relieving of pain caused by cuts and scrapping in the ear.
- Healing body piercing: Ear, nose, lip and navel piercing can be treated with hydrogen peroxide which fasten the healing process. It prevent bacterial infections at the pierced body part.
How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide in Ear for Wax Removal
Production of wax in the ear is very important. Ear wax helps in protecting the inner ear against infections, dust particles, water and moisture. Wax can be produced in excessive clogging the ears and causing discomfort.
It is not recommended to get rid of ear wax using cotton buds and other objects since you can easily damage the eardrum thus leading to permanent deafness. Impacted ear wax should only be removed by a doctor or through guidelines from a pharmacist.
Ear Wax Removal Hydrogen Peroxide
Irrigation and use of hydrogen peroxide in ear are among the most recommended ways on how to get rid of ear wax. Here are the procedures for using hydrogen peroxide for earwax removal:
- Olive oil or Almond oil.
- Diluted hydrogen peroxide.
- Cotton balls.
- Bulb syringe.
- Eye dropper.
- Tilt your head to make the affected ear exposed upwards.
- Spread the towel on the neck and shoulders to absorb spilled solution.
- Use the eye dropper to place 2 to 3 drops of Olive oil or Almond oil in the ear.
- After 10 to 15 minutes apply 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in ear.
- Turn your head to make the affected ear to face down the sink.
- Fill the bulb syringe with warm water and hold it at 45 degree angle to your war.
- Spray the water gently into the ear towards the walls as the ear wax is flushed out.
- Dry the outside of your ear using a towel.
Hydrogen Peroxide Ear Wax Removal Cautions and Side Effects
There are cases when you should not use peroxide in ear cleaning and removal of wax. These include when you have a severe ear pain, temporal deafness, flow of discharge from or fluid from the ears. These are cases that requires serious medical treatment and you should consult your doctor.
Hydrogen peroxide should be used in ear while diluted. 3% is the recommended concentration. Individuals with sensitive skin should not use this chemical ingredient in their ears since it cause severe skin itching and allergies.
How to Remove Ear Wax
Apart from using hydrogen peroxide in ear wax removal, you can also use irrigation. Here are the requirements, steps and procedures for ear irrigation.
- Bath towel.
- Bulb syringe.
- Water (room temperature).
- Wax-softening liquid (hydrogen peroxide)
- Take your bath towel, fold it into half and place it on one side of a table. Sit on the chair at the table and turn your head side to rest gently on the towel as the affected ear is exposed on the upper side. This should be done with the help of somebody.
- Using an eyedropper, put 3 to 4 drops of the wax softening agent such as hydrogen peroxide in ear canal. Alternatively you can use oil-based cerumenolytic of olive oil, almond oil or mineral oil. Let the head to rest in position for 20 minutes to enhance softening of the impacted ear wax.
- With body temperature water, fill the bulb syringe to begin the irrigation treatment. Hot or cold water can harm the patient and causes side effects such as dizziness. Now sit the individual upright drop the bath towel on the shoulders and neck.
- Hold your syringe at a distance of ½ inch from the opening of the ear canal and gently spray water into the ear canal as you aim the water flow at the walls next to the impacted earwax. This strategic spraying helps in unclogging the ear and prevents pushing further the wax towards the inner ear.
- Slightly tilt the head towards the affected ear to enable the loosened wax and water softly drain from the ear. For effective impacted ear wax removal, repeat the ear irrigation treatment after 24 hours.
Hydrogen Peroxide in Ear for Colds and Flu Prevention
You can use this chemical element in your ears to prevent and treat colds and flu. Here are the procedures.
- Eye dropper.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Fold the towel into half and place it on the table.
- Lie your head on the towel.
- Apply 2 to 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear using eye dropper.
- Stay still for 10 to 15 minutes until the bubbling stops.
- Clean your ear using clean dry towel.
- Repeat the same for the other ear and carry out the treatment for 2 times per day for 3 days.
Hydrogen Peroxide for Ear Piercing Healing
You can speed up the healing process of your piercing using hydrogen peroxide in ear. This is how to go about it:
- Hydrogen peroxide.
- Cotton swabs.
- Wash your hands with antibacterial soap and dry them clean.
- Dip the clean cotton swab into hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Gently swirl it around the pierced ear hole.
- Let it dry and repeat twice a day for effective outcome.
How to Clean Your Ears
Ear canals are self-cleaning, a reason as to why a foreign material should not be used. People use cotton swabs and other objects to clean ears without knowledge that it is wrong. Doing this will push the wax deeper into the ear canal and hence causing ear infection.
There are cases where wax can accumulate excessively leading to impacted ear wax, black ear wax and blocked ear canal. These only requires doctors to conduct the cleaning process. When wax is in excess, it normally flow to the outside of the ear and you can only use a dry cloth or towel to wide. Although using hydrogen peroxide in ear on how to get rid of ear wax can work for people who don’t have ear problems.
More Sources and References: