A nose is perceived to be the most sensitive part of a human body and thus responds to a smallest of the cut in the nose can bring about complications in treatment. Here, we critically analyze scabs in nose that are painful and won’t go away including a close look at the causes, treatment, home remedies and even pictures of the same.
Scabs are usually made of thin fibrin that makes a structure in the blood clot. Under this scab in nose, there forms a new layer of skin cells that prepares a new layer of skin to replace the damaged one.
Picking of scabs in nose is highly discouraged as it interferes with the healing process of the skin under the scabs inside your nose.
What Causes Scabs in Your Nose
Crusting is caused by the drying out of the linings of the nostrils causing a scabby and crusty skin under your nose.
Nasal dryness is indicated by dryness as well as reduced fluid in the nasal orifice together with epistaxis, but with no nasal dysfunction of the sense of smell. It is usually together with by a burning sensation that usually occurs in the nose with a small number of dry scabs that occurs I anterior parts and the mucosal erosion in the nasal septum. It frequents in adolescents and other young adults especially at the period of fall and winter seasons. This is due to dry cold or even hot weather. You are advised against over indulgence in smoking habits as well as alcohol consumption.
- Scabs in nose occurs due to damage of the nasal orifice resulting from lack of enough fluid. Although this is usually related to usual patterns of pathogenic dryness, congested heart and weak immunity. Over indulgence in smoking use of spicy foods and alcohol consumption can cause congested heart.
- Nose picking; as much as nose picking cause’s scabs in the nose, it also causes scars in the nose. This is the usual way of scratching the inside linings of the nostrils. This is a delicate process that damages the linings and eventually form wounds. Avoid chronic nose picking as it can lead to severe damage of the linings.
Nose picking affects the healing process of the lining that had been damaged. Remember that nasal adhesions are a problem that come about due to effects of nose picking that sometimes usually require surgical removal by specialists.
- Nostril scabs during colds; scabs may form after having a cold in that the fluid filled nostrils may dry up and form scabs which can eventually be infected and become pus. All this brings about uncomfortable feeling
- Swollen glands and sinus infection; sometimes an infection of the nasal cavity can lead to formation of scabs, when this is picked, they become too sensitive and thus start to bleed. This infection usually occurs when the nasal passages swell or even the glands after which they are blocked and eventually filled with germs that include bacteria and fungi causing the infection to increase.
- Sunburn; this occurs on the nose especially after spending lengthy period on the sun, this forms scab like crusts that can form on the nose or even at the bottom of the mouth. This scabs usually change color and become red or even develop from sunburn blisters when the sunburn is of high intensity.
- Nose bleeding; can cause a serious scabs in the nose, although this is common in children it can occur to older people too. When your nose is dry or even during such seasons as winter it can cause major nose bleeding too.
- Medications; a lot of drugs and medications can reduce the amount of moisture in the nose especially the nasal sprays and other allergy medications which appears to be the biggest culprits. Nasal sprays are known to help with congestion but overuse can lead to a rebound effect leading to scabbing in the nose an individual
Topical antiseptics are advised by doctors as full course of antibiotics, but if the problem continues, further visitation to the doctor is advised.
- Crusty scabs that arise from sniffed drugs; abusing and sniffing of such drugs like coke or even cocaine can cause serious scabbing of the nostrils
- Hay fever; this is an irritant that sometimes cause scabs in the nose as it can cause severe inflammation that occurs around the nasal lining with a lot scabbing and itchy eyes.
- Smoking affects the wounds in the nose causing more bleeding as well as swelling which can easily be followed by the anterior type crusting as well as scabbing.
- Cancerous scabs; scabs may sometimes be an indication of cancerous growth in the nose.
- The infection of the upper respiratory infection that are automatically associated with the flu or any other infections that have a runny nose, but there are other viruses that constantly dry the nasal passages which sometimes prevents moisture from having the opportunity to coat the walls of the nostrils.
- The indoor environment; some people tend to keep their environment and homes very dry which leads to drying of the nose and often bleed and cause the formation of the scabs, it is recommended that you keep the humidity of your home above at least 20 percent.
- High blood pressure; sometimes a dry and scabby nose could be an indication of high blood pressure which leads to also a bloody nose.
- Menopause; it is common to experience scabs in nose due to menopause. At this time period, the level of collagen is decreased causing less elasticity of the skin, the hormonal changes thus may dry the mucus membrane of vital parts of the body like the mouth and vagina and even the nose.
- Rhinoplasty; after undergoing this process, which is a surgical operation that corrects septum that is deviated, scabs might form in the nose. The size of the scabs could at times grow leading to difficulties in breathing, trying to get rid of this scabs is highly discouraged. Your doctor will always advise on how to prevent the scabs from causing problems to your breathing
- Nasal herpes; sometimes a viral infection may manifest itself inform of scabs, this infection is usually transmitted through sexual contact and if left untreated it may cause scabs and formation of oozing pus that may be green or yellow.
Scabs Inside In Nose That Won’t Go Away
Chronic rhinitis is usually caused by allergies or non-allergies. However, both this types of rhinitis could cause scabbing that is sometimes considered as a medical condition. During this period, a person may experience a reduced sense of smell
Staph infection of the nose
According to medical textbooks and other resources, almost every newborn is affected with staph. However, it should be noted that infections that are caused by presence of staph in the nose is usually a combination with several other symptoms at distant sites.
When there is staph in the nose, the body’s immune system responds by discharging a yellow to green mucus. Staph can be accompanied by chills, headache, fever, sore throat and cough.
That said, the common signs of staph are the below;
- The swelling and tenderness of the skin around the lumps which contains yellow pus that eventually drain on their own
- There are several skin infections that are found on the face, legs, arms and even buttocks especially when the infection was transmitted through a community
- Surgical site infections are also common with some people in hospitals acquired staph. They are also the reasons for scabs in nose.
- Boils with a pus head are sometimes found near the surface of the skin which can sometimes enlarge and form a larger lump called carbuncle. Do not try to empty or drain the lumps as this pushes the infection inside the body. The lancing or draining should be done by a medical doctor with assistance of relevant antibiotics
- Folliculitis is a deep rooted infection of the hair follicle which eventually form bumps that are less than a half an inch in diameter, folliculitis can form white heads that form anywhere on the skin but especially in the nose. The affected areas are painful and itchy.
- Impetigo looks like oozing bumps or lesions that ranges in color from yellow to red and breaks open easily at any moment. Impetigo is usually brought about by dried blood serum that are common on the face and arms but can easily spread to other parts of the body. They are more common in children and young adults that in adults
- Abscess are cavities that are filled with pus and are deep rooted in the skin and the problem is it does not near the surface of the skin or even drain on their own, they can only be felt once a person presses on the surface with fingers. Also it relevant to note that you do not try to drain the pus in it as it can push the infection deep into the body, this process can only be carried out by a medical practitioner.
However, it is important to note that this symptoms are not enough to tell you that you have staph in your body. Only a professional test can prove the presence of staph in the body, this signs and symptoms can only be used as helpful guide and never a substitute to tests that are required to be carried out by a doctor
Scabs inside Nose Treatment
It is important to determine the cause of the scabs. Its very important to keep your body moist by taking a lot of water, some other important methods that can also be useful in dealing with scabs in nose that include the below;
- Use of humidifier at home or maybe your sleeping place at night can be helpful.
- Check carefully your medications that you are taking that may be the cause of dry nose hence scabs in nose or maybe talk to your doctor about an alternative.
- You can also squirt some saline water in the nasal cavity every time you are in need of moisture especially when it’s time to go to sleep.
- You can also use steam relief by either standing over some steam pipe by placing a warm moist cloth over your nostril to prevent scabs in nose.
How to help in healing a cut in the nose
Proper care of an injury in the nose can ensure healing and prevent further infections. If the bleeding don’t stop in good time, make an urgent visit to the doctor. The following are some of the ways you can use to help heal a cut in the nose that may leading to scabbing.
- Cleanliness of the injury is very critical in ensuring that reinfection doesn’t occur. Always make sure that your hands are clean so as not to introduce any germs in the open cut. You can wash the hands using clean running water and ensure to scrub your hands. Rinse your hands well and dry them using a clean towel.
- Make a point to stop the bleeding, a bleeding inside the nose or near the nose edge, apply gentle pressure with a clean material to the extent that it stops any further bleeding, ensure not to block the nose from breathing or even packing the nostril.
If the injury is invisible or at the wrong edge of the nose then apply the accepted methods for first aid until the bleeding stops.
Straighten your body and then lean forward as this maintenance of the position will help in reducing the vessels pressure that are located in your nose and also prevents swallowing of the blood.
Repeat the procedure if the bleeding does not stop as required.
Keep your body cool during this entire process by taking something cold like chips of ice or even by using of cool dump cloths.
- Remove any available debris, this will go a long way to reduce infection and even possible complications by use of sterilized tweezers that can be able to remove the debris that usually remains in the cut
- Use of clean tools; when you suspect that a something is logged in the nose, always ensure to sterilize all the items that you intend to use in removal of the debris by making sure that they are very clean.
Home Remedies for Scabs in Nose
Scabs are signs that wounds in the nose are healing but they can sometimes be annoying and challenging mostly if they grow very fast and large. There are alternative ways to heal the scabs in nose without exactly picking them. There are several home remedies that can be applied as listed below;
- Warm compress; this is an effective method of getting a solution to the problem. Take a clean piece of cloth and dump in warm water. The warm water is very helpful in dissolving scabs inside nose after being pressed at the affected area, however do not rub on the scabs and other parts of the body as it can lead to spread of scabs.
Repeat the process more often.
- Baking soda; this as another method that can be effectively applied to reduce the effects of scabs in nose. The antiseptic properties in the baking soda makes it possible to kill the germs including the bacteria or even the fungi that irritates the wound.
Mix a small amount of baking soda with a little amount of baking soda to form a light paste of sodium bicarbonate. Gently apply to the scab by rubbing.
Repeat the process often to obtain better results.
- Apple cider vinegar; this is a proven method in getting rid of all or many types of wounds that are found on human body. It has special properties of enhancing skin and cell growth. Mix the vinegar with a small amount of water and rinse it after a few minutes with warm water.
- Garlic; this herb is usually used in prevention of the infection as it has antimicrobial properties, though garlic has an annoying smell. It’s a very effective method used to get rid and even reduce the effects of scabs in nose as the wound in the nose heals faster when applied with garlic.
- Honey; the antioxidant and antiseptic properties of honey has proved to be an effective method in dealing with scabs as it eliminates scabs in record time. It does this by killing the germs that causes the wound to spread. It can be used to effectively clean any type of wounds.
- Vaseline; this is an effective method of solving different skin problems, when applied it prevents the drying of the wound by moisturizing the area. The scabs eventually falls on its own in a short period of time.
- Humidifier; this can prevent worsening of the scabs in nose, in winter, the air is drier and the problem is worse during that season and the body or even the nose is prone to scabbing.