An insight on nose piercing aftercare, solutions, products, instructions, spray, how to clean, infection and ring jewelry.
Nose Piercing Aftercare Instructions
How to care for a nose piercing for the first three months:
- Wash hands. You should be making the piercing to be clean at least twice a day for the first four months. Before touching the nose piercing, it is very much vital that you apply the antibacterial soap in order to wash the hands more thoroughly. Skipping of this particular step is normally the cause behind an infection.
- Use saline solution. A saline solution normally is a mixture containing warm water and a small amount of non-iodized sea salt. The piercer may either apply to the nose some of the saline solution from the studio, or he might say where to obtain it.
When you apply the solution, it should be the temperature like that of a drinkable beverage. Place the solution in a microwaveable cup and then heat it in about 30 second increments. Once the temperature is correct, then you should take a sterile cotton pad and then dip it into the solution using very clean hands. Generously wipe down the piercing using the made solution.
- The optimum time that is needed for the saline solution is immediately after you take a shower.
- Use of a Q-tip. Once you’ve already wiped the piercing, dip the Q-tip into a warm saline solution. Use it to wipe the piercing down. Clean under the jewelry a lot, so as to be sure that the piercing is thoroughly wiped.
Then, dump the unused solution, let the saline solution sit on the nose, and then using a very new Q-tip to clean it, use a cool distilled water. This ensures that no salt is able to irritate the piercing.
- Do not try to reuse the same saline solution.
- Don’t try to play with the piercing. Throughout the day, resist to play with the nose ring. The hands are covered in a lot of bacteria and this is a perfect method to obtain an infection.
If you see any build-up that is around the ring and you don’t have the cleaning solution, then wash the hands and then soak the piercing for a short period of time in a warm distilled water until the build up easily disappears.
Do not try to move the jewelry, as this may lead to hypertrophic scarring.
How to know if your nose piercing is getting infected
- Know what’s normal. Redness as well as swelling is very natural. Also, it can be able to lead to pain the subsequent days. This is very normal. Don’t worry on these, but then make sure that you continue cleaning the piercing as required.
- Watch for green and yellow. If the painful inflammation is still continuing, then watch for the discharge that is emanating from the piercing. If the discharge is green or even yellow and also very smelly in nature, then you should seek for medical attention. This particular combination could imply an infection.
- Look for a red raised bump. This particular bump might happen within a few days or even months after the nose piercing. Not all of the bumps are much infected but if they appear to be red and also resemble a pimple that has a lot of pus inside, then they likely are infected.
Pus is not always an indication of infection, but ensure that you get it checked with a professional. Do get rid of the piercing if it appears to be infected, as it traps the infection and can likely have to be much drained. Always inquire from the doctor before getting rid of the jewelry of an infected piercing.
Nose Piercing Aftercare solution
Use either or both of the below nose piercing aftercare solutions for the healing piercings:
- Packaged sterile saline nose piercing aftercare solution that has no additives, or even a non-iodized sea salt mixture: where you dissolve about 1/4 teaspoon of the non-iodized sea salt into a cup that is full of warm distilled or even the bottled water. A stronger mixture is not as a better than a less stronger one; a saline solution that is very much strong is able to irritate the piercing.
- A fragrance-free liquid soap.
Cleaning instructions for body piercings
- wash hands thoroughly before the cleaning or even touching of the piercing for any given reason.
- Saline soak for a period of about ten minutes at least once per day. Invert a small cup that contains warm saline solution over the spot so as to form a vacuum. For some other piercings it can be much easier to use clean gauze or even the paper towels that is saturated with the saline solution. A brief rinse afterward can get rid of any residue.
- Soap no more than once or even twice in a day. While also showering, lather up a pearl size drop of the soap so as to clean the piercing. Leave the cleanser on the piercing no more than fifty seconds or even follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper use.
- rinse thoroughly so as to get rid of all traces of the soap that emanates from the piercing. It is not relevant to rotate the jewelry.
- Dry by gently patting using very clean, disposable papers. Cloth towels is able to harbor bacteria as well as the snag on the jewelry, leading to the injury.
Nose Piercing Aftercare Products
The following are the best products for a nose piercing care:
Dr. Piercing’s Aftercare
This product is able to save you the trouble of obtaining a spray everywhere as you apply the said disinfectant. It comes with swabs that are soaked in a solution that is made for prevention of the infections at the piercing sites of all given kinds.
It can also be used on the cartilage piercings, surface piercings, and also the tongue piercings. It doesn’t taste very good. Because of its compact nature, you may take them in the bathroom at work.
Gauge Gear Premium Stretched Ear Care Kit
This kit was specifically for the gauges, and though it is said that it is meant for the ears, you can also use it on all other locations. But, this is not accompanied with a piercing aftercare instructions. The saline spray is to be applied first, ensuring that it is able to reach very deep into the piercing area.
The daily oil skin conditioning mix is also able to be used on the outside parts of the piercing anywhere the skin stretches so as to keep it very nice and much hydrated and also soothe any given irritation that is emanating from the stretching. Once the gauge is healed, you may use the stretching balm so as to keep the affected spot much healthy and enough to stretch and also hold all the gauges without fuss.
H2Ocean Piercing Aftercare Spray
H2Ocean is one of the brands that are used in body modification aftercare and also upkeep, and the spray does not disappoint. This product is able to last for about one month, which is the amount of time that it takes for the ear to have a barrier that works against infection.
This particular spray have sea salt, which contains more than 50 trace elements which are able to be applied so as to heal the skin and assist to regenerate the affected skin area. It is not a disinfectant, but it does a very good job in wiping out any available bad bacteria and thus leaving the good bacteria alone. This particular product is so helpful to the skin that it speeds up the healing process.
Neil Med Neil Cleanse Piercing Aftercare Fine Mist Spray
This particular product is very much isotonic, drug free, and do not harm the skin. This is a sterile saline solution, which implies that it is not possible for the bacteria to proliferate in it, and it might be applied both for the surface piercings as well as the cartilage piercings.
Piercing Care Healing Sea Salts & Botanicals
This medicated sea salt contains a lot of vitamins, as well as other compounds that assists to speed up the healing process of the skin. It has aloe vera that can be used to soothe the pain and the vitamin E to boost the immune system as well as the recovery speed.
Tea tree oil also assists to keep the area very much moisturized also. The salt that is used is a Dead Sea salt, which has more minerals than the regular sea salt. You only require about one teaspoon so as to treat an area, so this is able to last for a long period of time.
How to Clean a Nose Piercing with antibacterial Soap
Gently wash the piercing as well as the surrounding area using the antibacterial soap. Carefully get rid of the crusty formations that emanates from the piercing as well as the jewelry.
Rotate the jewelry. Rinse off the soap and then rotate jewelry once more, making sure that all the all soap residue that was available has disappeared. If the piercing is slightly irritated, then soak it using antiseptic solution and place it into the piercing by rotating of the jewelry, and then also allow it to soak for about two minutes.
Always rinse off all the cleaning agents after cleaning the piercing. Warm saltwater soaks gets rid of the crusty deposits during the healing process. The antibacterial soap is highly recommended for the nose piercing aftercare.
Nose Piercing Bump Care
If the bump that is around a body piercing is producing a lot of pain, oozing or even a foul odor, then you may be experiencing an infection. The risk also increases much if the symptoms are persisting or if the redness is able to spread the redness or purple and you develop a fever.
You are required to have antibiotics in addition to the draining by the doctor so as to treat an infection. Sending the fluid for evaluation is very crucial if the infection is not improving. A culture and also the sensitivity of the fluid is thus able to determines the bacteria that is present and also which of the antibiotics is able to effectively get rid of it.
– Take an oral anti-inflammatory medication like the ibuprofen only if the bump is because of a recent trauma. Trauma to the nose piercings are the accidental knocking of the nose piercing or even pulling the nose ring so that it comes out.
– Soak the nose in the salt water solution. Mix a cup of warm water with about 1/4 tsp. of sea salt. The warm water should be to the temperature that you can withstand, otherwise it will burn the skin. To soak the piercing, tilt the head sideways and then insert it into the cup of water.
This task is comfortable if soaked while lying down. Otherwise, use cotton balls that are soaked in the salt water solution, holding each one against the nose until to the point that it cools off. Soak for at least two times a day.
– Use a smaller amount of over-the-counter cortisone cream so as to assist decrease the inflammation. Apply some pressure directly to the nose. If the nasal swelling is continuing after the previous treatments, then you should apply more pressure to the nose using the thumb as well as the forefinger.
A reddened bump doesn’t always imply infection. In some other cases, inflammation is able to develop at the affected area from the irritation that emanates from the piercing rather than the infection.
With the inflammation, the redness is normally localized, improving with time and doesn’t have a foul smell. Draining of an inflamed bump won’t assist much, because it doesn’t have any infection. Injecting the bump using cortisone normally assists to reduce inflammation, although you can be required to have more than a single treatment, largely depending on the size of the inflamed spot.
Nose Piercing Bleeding
It is very much common for the affected piercing to lead to a spot to bleed in other cases. If the piercing is very much new, then the bleeding should be able to last for a short while. On the other hand, if it continues to bleed, it can be a sign that there contains an infection or there is a chance of the area being infected.
To stop the bleeding, try using some pressure on the affected area before you go for medical attention. And to avoid bleeding occurring on the area, make sure that it doesn’t get tugged as it might easily be torn leading to serious injuries to the affected area.
How to Clean a Nose Piercing Infection
Both the pustules as well as the granulomas may be treated using home remedies. Granulomas usually respond positively to the topical applications of hydrocortisone creams.
Pustules on the other hand may be treated using most of the antibiotic gels as well as the creams as they have very tiny infections that are localized. Abscesses are very serious medical conditions that should not be ignored.
- Sea Salt Soaks
Sea salt soaks can be very helpful in treating of the nose piercing bumps and all you require for this remedy is some clean cotton, warm water as well as the sea salt. Place a clean cotton ball into the sea salt solution before placing it on the nose.
Let it soak in for about 5 minutes and apply the treatment at least twice a day, for 20 minutes. You might also have the direct treatment by dipping the nostril into sea salt mixture. But, it’s highly recommended that you rinse the nostril after the process so as to prevent salt from drying inside the nostril.
This particular treatment is able to clear the infection very fast and get rid of the piercing bump.
You may as well apply distilled water and sea salt to clear the infection.
- Chamomile Tea Bag Compress
Chamomile tea works for nose piercing aftercare more especially if the sea salt solution is not perfectly working. Simply dip the tea bags in the warm water and then compress it on the piercing area.
Let the tea bag sit for a period for about 10 minutes and re-dip it in the tea when it loses the heat. This treatment can as well be applied with sea salt soaks.
- Tee Tree Oil Dap
Stubborn bumps resist the chamomile and the sea salt treatment. In such given cases tea tree oil is a very suitable treatment. Dilute one drop of the tea tree oil with a skin friendly oil and then use it on the piercing by use of a cotton bud. Use the treatment at least twice a day for better results. Tea tree oil is a potent antiseptic and it is able to thus kill all the germs and even dry the skin. Do not use it in excess.
- Aspirin Paste
Place a bottle that has aspirin into a glass that has very little amount of water and then let it turn into a paste. Use the mixture directly into the infection every other night before you go to sleep and watch it heal in a few days.
Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory drug which implies that it is able to heal the infection without leading to an irritation. It is also available and much affordable.
The anti-inflammatory properties that are contained in aspirin is able to reduce the bump and disseminate it leaving you with a clear, much painless piercing. Aspirin is much easily absorbed into the skin and allows the infection to drain much easily thus very good for the nose piercing aftercare.
Nose Piercing Swimming
Swimming is not prohibited while the piercing is healing, but you should only swim for a short while in swimming pools that are thoroughly chlorine- or even ozone-treated.
Do not let the skin to be wrinkly and soft. If you try to swim in the ocean or even in waterways, then do not swim after the heavy rain. Storm water run-off normally have bacteria and also the parasites.
Until your body piercing fully heals, swimming should be much avoided. And even after recovery, the activity still is a bit risky.
The healing period for a body piercing largely depends on the location where there is the piercing.
The eyebrow and also the ear lobe piercing follow at roughly eight weeks each.
The bridge of the nose takes a longer period of at least 8 to 10 weeks, while the nostril might take up a period of about three months, the nasal septum can take eight months to completely heal.
A lip piercing is able to take a period of up to about three months, while a nipple piercing usually heals within a period of six months. The sensitivity of the ear makes it relatively long healing time of up to one year. The belly button normally heals within a period of four months, but can take up to one year for a complete recovery.
How to Clean Nose Ring Jewelry
Cleaning the silver as well as the gold septum, nose ring and any other body jewelry
- You’ll require to get rid of the jewelry first. Use a professional jewelry cleaner that can be obtained at any jewelry shop, note that it is a very different one for the sterling silver or even the gold.
- You may as well clean the jewelry using what you have at home.
- Mix some amount of warm water, such that you are able to dip the fingers in, using some gentle soap that you have at home.
- Let it rest for about one minute.
- Use the cotton buds or even a soft, non-abrasive cloth to gently rub the jewelry.
When the piercing jewelry is very much all shinning and thus the brand new looking, then you can pat dry.
Make sure that it is completely dry before storing, as silver and gold can get stained from the water leftovers.