Does turmeric lighten skin?The use of turmeric milk has been discussed with regard to lightening of the skin, the before and after results as well as the benefits ad side effects of the turmeric milk.
Does Drinking Turmeric Milk Lighten Skin
Turmeric is a natural plant derived from the ginger family found in South Asia and can also be cultivated in a warm and tropical climates which has a lot of rainfall. The turmeric rhizomes or the stems of the turmeric are cut, dried and pounded to make a fine powder that shows a yellow goldish color.
This powder is used mainly as a spice for various foods and even the dyeing of colored cloths. It is also good due to its medicinal properties that includes treatment of burns and repair of free radicals as well as reduction of the pigmentation of the face, making it suitable for discoloration of the skin.
Turmeric is a root found and available in most vegetable markets but it can also be found in powder form so as to use as an ingredient in most of the beauty and cosmetic products. Turmeric benefits the body skin in several ways:
Turmeric has several skin benefits can be used in many beauty products found on the market, some of these are:
- Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties, that reduce skin inflammation, skin pigmentation and as well as blemishes.
- It also contains antibacterial properties that help in reduction of acne, especially when applied with other ingredients that are natural.
- It also contains anti-aging properties that help in prevention and improvement of dry skin and wrinkles, slowing down the aging process thus helping the skin look younger.
- When turmeric is taken as food, it nourishes the skin giving it a natural glow
There are several ways that you can use to improve the appearance of the skin;
- Signs of aging; Use of turmeric to exfoliate the skin and thus reduce the signs of aging is mostly applied. Combine the turmeric powder or gram flour in small proportions and add some water, milk or even yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply the paste evenly on skin and leave it for a few minutes to dry. Wash away the paste with warm water, gently scrub the face in circular motions.
- Wrinkles; to reduce the forming wrinkles, combine the turmeric powder, and tomato juice or raw milk to make a thick paste. Apply gently to the skin and allow it to dry. The lactic acid of the milk helps to peel off the dead skin cells. Combined with sugarcane juice and turmeric powder into a thick paste to enable reduce wrinkles and dark circles that form on the skin. Use the paste that is made from turmeric powder and mixed with honey paste to enable exfoliation of the skin and reducing of pores.
- Acne; to reduce the excess oil secreted from the sebaceous glands, Prepare the turmeric scrub by addition of lemon juice and some water to the turmeric powder to make a thick paste. Apply gently on the skin with acne and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Scrub gently the powder with warm water. Use the turmeric and some sandalwood on the face for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water. To reduce the effects of acne, apply some mixture of the turmeric powder and some water on the acne marks on the face and leave on for 15 minutes before washing it off. For control of oil secretion, make a thick paste of sandalwood powder and orange juice. Apply the formed paste on the face, leave for about 10 minutes, and then rinse off with warm water.
- Stretch marks; Mix some besan with turmeric powder and raw milk or yogurt or clean water and apply gently on the stretch marks.
- Burns; for the minor burns of the skin, mix some turmeric powder and aloe Vera gel and then apply gently on the affected area.
- Healthy and growing skin; Prepare some paste from a little quantities of the turmeric power and rice powder or milk. Apply gently directly on face and the neck then leave the paste on for about 30 minutes. Rinse off the paste with warm water. To keep the skin healthy, use the paste regularly or at least twice a week
- Skin pigmentation; Make a thick paste from the turmeric powder and include the cucumber juice or some lemon juice. Apply gently on the affected skin areas for about 30 minutes. Wash off the paste with warm water. Repeat this regularly to help reduce skin tanning as well as pigmentation.
- Full body scrub; Make a thick paste formed from turmeric powder, gram flour, and rose water. Use this paste as a body scrub every day before going to a shower. Regularly use the method to enable the skin to be clear and spotless. This paste can also be effectively used in the skin lightening, whitening, acne and also as an anti-aging.
Daily caring of the skin
- Wear sunscreen every day; exposure of the skin to the sun can interrupt your complexion, ranging from freckles and the brown spots on the skin to sunburns and also skin cancer. If you need a lighter skin, then you have to take care for it in a proper way, use of a sunscreen that has a higher Sun Protection Factor rating. When the skin is exposed to UVA and UVB light, the body produces melanin that makes the skin to appear darker. Thus, the most important thing that can be done to lighten the skin is to wear sunscreen daily most of the time that you are outdoors, even when it is not hot or sunny. The skin can also be protected by wearing of light, long-sleeved clothes and by wearing of a hat as well as sunglasses when in the sun for longer periods of time.
- Regular cleaning and exfoliation of the skin; Taking care of the skin may involve following a thorough skincare plan so that the skin is properly exfoliated and moisturized.
Strictly cleanse the face at least twice a day, in the morning and at night. This gets rid of dirt and oil on the face, which is relevant for a healthy and clear complexion.
Moisturize the skin with a product that is suited to the skin type. If the skin is oily or blemish prone, then go for light lotions, people with extremely dry skin should use heavier creams.
Exfoliation of the skin for a couple of times a week will be helpful. This is necessary as it gets rid of the darker, dead skin cells and shows the new, lighter skin below. Exfoliation can also be done using a product containing smaller particles, or by gently rubbing the face with a cleaner and damp washcloth.
- Drink more water and follow a healthy diet; Drinking of clean water and eating of right food will not make the skin lighter, but it helps skin to rejuvenate.
When it rejuvenates, the old skin, pigmented layers usually go away and the fresh, new skin is re-made, leaving the skin look brighter and healthier than before. Drink more clean water to speed up the process, so drinking between six to eight glasses a day.
A healthy diet also assists to keep the skin look fresh and healthy by giving it the vitamins and nutrients that it requires. Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as you can and avoid consumption of processed, high-calorized foods.
Consider taking vitamin supplements that has ingredients like as Grape seed Extract (that provides anti-oxidant benefits) and Fish oil that contain Omega-3 and are good for hair, skin and nails.
- Try a skin lightening cream; there are a lot of skin lightening creams that are found over-the-counter. They all perform their respective function by reducing the dark pigmentation that causes tanning and sun spots on the skin.
Search for products that are effective in skin-lightening with ingredients like kojic acid, glycolic acid, vitamin C or arbutin.
The products try to be safer to use, but be sure to follow the instructions found on the package and to stop at once the skin has a bad reaction to the products.
Do not use a skin lightening cream that has mercury as an active ingredient. Mercury skin creams are banned several countries, but are still found in several parts of the world.
- Use of retinoids; Retinoid based creams are manufactured from an acidic type of Vitamin A and can lighten skin through exfoliation of the skin and speeds up the cell turnover.
Not only do these creams lighten skin and clear discoloration, they are effective at smoothing the fine lines and the wrinkles, plumping up the skin, look brighter and younger. In higher level of concentrations, retinoid creams can also help to clearing of the acne.
These creams can cause the dryness of the skin, redness and flakiness, but these signs should disappear once the skin gets used to the products. The creams also makes the skin more sensitive to light of the sun, so only apply at night and wear sunscreen during the day.
Retinoids are only found with a prescription of a medical doctor who is qualified, so make an appointment with the dermatologist if you are need of using this treatment. However, a less potent version of retinoid cream, called as retinol, is found in many over-the-counter beauty shops.
- Use turmeric; Turmeric is known to be an Indian spice which has been used in skin lightening treatments for many years. While the effects haven’t been researched, the spice is however believed to prevent production of the dark pigmentation, thus preventing the skin from becoming darkened.
Mix the turmeric powder with olive oil and chickpea flour forming a thick paste. Apply the formed paste to the skin using a gentle and circular motions. This helps in exfoliation of the skin.
Leave turmeric paste on the skin for 30 minutes before rinsing off using warm water. The Turmeric can stain the skin to a slightly yellow color, but this should quickly go away.
Repeat this procedure once or twice a week for better results.
Turmeric for Face Mask Lighten Skin
Make a thick paste formed from turmeric powder or milk and apply gently on the face, leave it for the whole night. Wash off the paste from the face in the morning using a light cleanser. Repeat the process twice a week to get healthy and younger looking skin.
Turmeric Lighten Skin Before and After
The skin being the outermost part of the human body is often easily destroyed by environmental factors including stress and poor eating habits. Although the market for cosmetic products offering solutions to skin problems is wide, nature also contributes to this.
Natural treatments for the skin that gives a lasting solution are usually better than the expensive commercial products and also cosmetic performed procedures. One such natural treatment that is used in lightening the skin is turmeric powder
How to Lighten Skin with Turmeric Powder
Buy turmeric powder with some fresh limes that can mostly be found in grocery stores. Another available option is to look in American and other ethnic based grocery stores, because turmeric is a spice used in various dishes.
Organic and health food stores can also provide another source that turmeric can be found. Their prices might vary and mostly over-priced, but there is no chance of various unwanted chemicals like the pesticides or even additives.
Make a paste of turmeric and gently apply to discolored areas of the body. The power found in turmeric mixed with other natural bleaching power found in lime juice can make an effective whitener. Mix two teaspoon of the turmeric powder with four tablespoons of the lime juice to form a very thick paste.
Apply evenly and gently to the face or all the desired areas. Wash off the turmeric mixture from the face after fifteen minutes using warm water. Avoid use of soap as this will neutralize the power of the paste. This turmeric paste can be used every day until desired results are observed.
Mix some turmeric with other natural food oils. Turmeric and the other oils that are applied to skin penetrates deeper into the skin and can thus be left overnight, with no stinging feeling an individual gets from the lemon juice. There lacks set measurements required for mixing oils and the turmeric, but you can start with a little amount of both sets and add a little more oil to be used for the desired consistency in application. Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and almond oils are all best choices for mixing with the turmeric.
Benefits of Drinking Turmeric Milk for Skin
Turmeric, contains an active compound called curcumin, is that is derived from the Curcuma longa shrub, Africa and regions of Asia. This spice is mostly used as flavor for food and dyes for fabric. Also, turmeric may yield health benefits, like the improved digestion and reduced joint pain, when applied as a medicinal supplement.
However, additional studies is important to support these purported health benefits of spice. Before using turmeric capsules, seek advice from your medical provider about the potential side effects that is associated this supplement.
Turmeric Skin Lightening Side Effects
Stomach discomfort is a noticeable side effects of the turmeric milk. People who use more than 400mg of the turmeric for longer periods experience stomach discomfort and decrease in appetite.
Skin rash can also develop due to the allergic reaction to the skin after ingesting the capsule, patches of the skin may also become dry and may also start itching.