A clear insight into the loose skin surgery, after weight loss, cost, excessive, pictures, scars, recovery.
Loose Skin Surgery
Plastic surgery after a dramatic weight loss tends to reduce the excess skin and also the fat which is left behind after major weight loss. Its aim is to restore the attractive proportions by getting rid of the sagging skin that is around the face, upper arms, abdomen, buttocks as well as the thighs which creates a misshapen contour.
Although the procedures leave scars, most of the patients find them to be an acceptable tradeoff for an improved appearance.
When to Consider Plastic Surgery after Dramatic Weight Loss
- If you have had a dramatic weight loss from the bariatric loose skin surgery or diet and also the exercise.
- If you have the sagging skin in several areas, which includes the face and also the neck, breasts, arms, back and thighs.
- If the weight has stabilized following bariatric loose skin surgery or even the diet and exercise. This might be 18 months or even more after the weight loss.
There might come a time after the dramatic weight loss when the weight is very stable, but you are distressed by sagging and also the overhanging skin. If you are considering to undergo plastic loose skin surgery to improve the body contour, then the characteristics make you a very good candidate:
- Your weight has been stable for about six months with no weight loss expected. For optimal results, then the body contouring should not be done for about two years after the start of the dramatic weight-loss program. This time allows the skin to shrink as much as possible and the nutrition to be stabilized and also optimized, factors that will help in recovery.
- You are in an overall good health without the chronic medical conditions, like the diabetes or even the heart disease. People in very poor health are not very good candidates for body-contouring procedures. Ensure to obtain clearance for loose skin surgery from the primary care physician or even from doctors who are treating you for the medical conditions.
- You have a healthy diet; problems like the protein deficiencies are able to interfere with healing.
- You do not smoke; smoking usually slows down the healing process and also increases the risk of serious complications during and also after loose skin surgery. If you do smoke, then you must quit at least six weeks before surgery.
- You have the mental stamina; surgical contouring procedures need patience and also endurance.
- You have very realistic expectations; loose skin surgery will cause the marked improvements in the shape, but it is very much impossible to restore the skin or even the body to what it would have been without weight gain or to what it was in the teens or even the twenties. Even after body-contouring loose skin surgery, skin will continue to sag over time as part of the normal aging.
How is a loose skin surgery after dramatic weight loss procedure performed?
Your first step is to tell the plastic surgeon what you wish to achieve after the procedure. The surgeon will then suggest the procedures that will assist you for you reach the goals and then give you a realistic picture of what the procedures are able to do for you.
Sometimes several procedures are able to be performed at the same time, while, at other times, a staggered approach might be recommended. Because each given procedure is able to impact the outcome of the next, careful surgical planning is needed. Of the body contouring procedures, panniculectomy and also the lower body lift are the procedures that are most closely associated with the dramatic weight loss.
The pannus is a name that is used for overhanging skin of lower abdomen that typically happens after major weight loss or pregnancy. A panniculectomy gets rid of the hanging pannus, or the apron of skin, from the lower abdomen that is below the belly button (excess skin and also fat that is above the belly button are not removed).
It is normally performed on people who are still significantly overweight, but have troublesome skin irritation that emanates from hanging skin. Some of the potential candidates have fat which is extending over their hips, mostly around their backs or even as low as their knees, which presents several health hazards. After the loose skin surgery, you will have less skin problems, but little improvement in the belly contour.
Skin Tightening Surgery Procedures
How is a nonsurgical skin tightening procedure performed?
Depending on the skin quality and also the area which is being treated, the surgeon might choose one of the treatments that is described below. Before the procedure starts the area to be treated is normally cleaned of makeup and also the skin lotions.
Some of the treatments need a thin coat of the ultrasound gel during treatment. Oral or even the intravenous pain medication might be needed much depending on device, treatment area, and also the individual needs.
- The treatment area is normally measured and marked
- Your skin is then cooled for comfort as well as safety
- A specially designed treatment tip is then placed against the skin
- Radiofrequency energy then penetrates very deep into the skin’s tissue, heating the treatment areas and also stimulating collagen production
- You can then start to feel a gentle vibration and also a cooling and heating sensations during each pulse
- The upper layer of the skin is cooled
Intense pulsed light (IPL)
- If the face is to be treated, you will be given a protective eye covering
- A handpiece is then used to administer a continuous cooling while an infrared light heats the deep dermis (deep layer of the skin)
- One or even more passes might be performed
- The treatment area is then measured and also marked
- An ultrasound gel is applied to the skin
- A smooth handpiece is placed on the skin and an image of the tissue which is beneath is projected on a screen so that the surgeon can see the treatment area
- The ultrasound emits small thermal bursts so as to stimulate the deep structural support layers of skin without disturbing the skin’s surface
What are my options?
There are three options for nonsurgical skin tightening. After evaluation of the skin quality and also the area being treated, the plastic surgeon can choose the option that is best suited for the particular situation and will then recommend an approach which is based upon the aesthetic goals.
Radiofrequency and intense pulsed light treatments heat only the deep layer of the skin. The epidermis or even the outer skin layer is not damaged. The body’s natural wound healing response leads to the collagen changes in skin which leads to skin tightening. A series of treatments is then performed.
Ultrasound treatments focus ultrasonic energy to dermal layer. The skin above the focus point and also the tissue below the focus point are also protected. New collagen growth is then stimulated, which gradually lifts and also tightens the skin. Just like radiofrequency and IPL, several treatments might be needed.
Excessive Skin after Weight Loss Surgery Cost
Patients’ body-contouring goals tend to vary much based on amount of weight lost, and also where the fat had been stored. Here are four common body-contouring procedures that are performed after the gastric bypass loose skin surgery:
- Breast lift: Loose skin is completely removed, and the breast as well as the nipple are lifted. Implants might then be used so as to improve the shape of the breast. In 2007, about 30,000 patients had the procedure done after a massive weight loss at an average cost of $4,500.
- Lower body lift: This normally combines a tummy tuck together with removal of the skin in the buttocks and also outer thighs. An incision is usually made at the bikini line so as to minimize scarring, and in some of the patients, the incision continues all the way around the body. The skin is then lifted and the excess removed.
Liposuction gets rid of any remaining fat deposits. While some other body-contouring procedures don’t need an overnight hospital stay, the patient who is having a lower body lift is normally hospitalized overnight, and the typical recovery time is just three weeks. In 2007 surgeons performed about 20,000 of these procedures, at an average cost of $8,300.
- Upper arm lift: Surgeons gets rid of the sagging skin by means of an incision which starts at the armpit and then progresses to the elbow. In 2007 surgeons did about 9,300 of the procedures, at an average cost of $3,600.
- Thigh lift: An incision is normally made at the groin and then continues to the knee, if crucial. Excess skin is then removed and then liposuction is done as required. In 2007 surgeons performed more than 8,400 of the procedures, at an average cost of $4,464.
Loose Neck Skin Surgery Cost
Neck contouring normally creates a firmer, smoother as well as a more refined appearance to the neck and the chin.
Even without making any other changes to the face, improving of a thick, wrinkled or even sagging neck might dramatically improve a one’s appearance, assisting a patient appear years younger or even as though she has lost weight. Neck contouring can also assist to restore balance to the facial features by giving a well defined jawline which frames the rest of the face.
Neck contouring isn’t defined by the surgical technique, but rather the patient’s aesthetic aims. A cosmetic surgeon can use a different surgical approach for a person who wants to reshape a full chin versus a patient who wants to get rid of the sagging “turkey neck.” Neck contouring is able to be performed as a single procedure, or even be combined with several other facial cosmetic loose skin surgery procedures for a more comprehensive improvements.
As the face, eyes and also the neck work together so as to create a person’s facial appearance, it is common to combine the face and also the neck procedures so as to achieve a patient’s aims. Doing so assists to ensure a smooth, refined lines and also a naturally balanced appearance. Below are some of the common procedures which the patients choose to accompany the neck contouring loose skin surgery:
- Facelift. It is very rare that a cosmetic surgeon will perform a facelift without incorporating some of the elements of neck contouring. Combining a facelift and also a neck lift allows for a cosmetic surgeon to address sagging cheeks, and also the lax neck tissues in one procedure.
- Chin augmentation. A skilled cosmetic surgeon is able to insert a custom-fit chin implant during a neck liposuction procedure, usually by use of the same incisions, so as to refine the neckline and also add definition to a weak or even the receding chin.
- Rhinoplasty. Balanced proportions are very key to the attractive face. Reshaping of the nose to better fit a patient’s face while also improving the jawline is able to dramatically enhance this sense of balance.
There is no set price for the neck lift loose skin surgery as each and every single patient is different and treated on an individual, case-by-case basis. So as to get a quote that is specific to you, find the nearest clinic and please book in for free consultation with the nurses so as to discuss the requirements in complete confidence.
The price that you are given includes everything from the procedure itself, to the cost of the overnight stay and also the aftercare appointments – there are no given hidden costs.
Loose Skin after Weight Loss Surgery Pictures
Loose Skin Removal Surgery Recovery
Recuperating from an extensive surgical procedures might take time. Most of the people remain in the hospital for up to about 48 hours after the loose skin surgery. Walking is very much important on the day of loose skin surgery. Sutures usually dissolve or are removed after a few days, and also drains are usually removed after about three weeks. Many of the surgeons advise use of compression garments so as to improve long-term contour. Physical therapy might be necessary for assist with return to the full activities in the population after extensive procedures, more especially with those involving the arms.
The first few days after the panniculectomy might be uncomfortable because of the swelling and also bruising. These side effects are able to be eased with good and proper care as well as the medication. Patients will require to sponge bath and also wear a support garment. Patients are also advised to avoid any strenuous activity for about three weeks. But, patients can return to work within two weeks of the operation.
Stitches are normally removed in about a week, while the deeper sutures stay in for about three weeks. The scars which are incurred by the surgery can then start to appear worse before they look better, but this is very much normal. They will then fade as healing continues. After about two months, patients will begin to see the results of the loose skin surgery and will appear and feel better.
People who are overweight or mildly obese normally get excellent results from the excess skin removal. From an aesthetic standpoint, people who have massive weight loss have results that are not very well pleasing, but they normally have the dramatic functional improvements like an increase in the ability to exercise and also a decrease in rashes due to the reduction of skin folding.
Although long incisions are normally necessary for the maximal skin removal, the use of the superficial fascia so as to reduce the tension on surgical closure has resulted in scars that most of the people find acceptable. Improvements in the loose skin surgery allow for a safer and effective results.
After a high lateral tension abdominoplasty or even the inner thigh lift, it’s normally a few days until the person is able to walk normally, a few weeks until the patient is able to carry 15 pounds, and a few months before full or even vigorous activity is very much possible. This is in contrast to the liposuction, for which return to full activity is normally measured in days.
Subsequent procedures are usually performed based on original plan, but is able to be modified depending much on the response to first stage of the procedure. Asymmetries are very much common, and healing problems are significant with greater weight loss. Revisions are normally necessary.
Complications are very much common in people after major weight loss but can also occur in patients with less severe changes in the body weight.
The most common complication is a fluid collection that happens under the skin. Drains are frequently used so as to minimize the complication and are usually removed after about three weeks. Infections, reaction to sutures, and also the hypertrophic scarring can also occur
The risks of a procedure are best discussed with a surgeon. In general, extensive operations have higher complication rates. The usual risks like the possible blood loss, hematoma (mass brought about by accumulation of blood) or even the seroma formation, and infection vary largely depending on the procedure, site of loose skin surgery, and facility
Skin Removal Surgery Scars
Scars are an inevitable result of deep skin injuries or the cuts. The appearance of scars might be able to be disguised or even improved through a treatment with several surgical and non-surgical modalities. These treatments is aimed at minimizing the scars such that it blends in more with surrounding skin tone to improve function, like the muscle and joint movement.
Plastic surgeons are the experts in designing surgical incisions that is aimed at minimizing the final scar, and use the advanced and also the delicate repair techniques to try and give the best quality final scar.
Scars that emanates from injuries however, are ideally orientated, and involve crushing or even the tearing of the skin. These particular factors leads to a poorer aesthetic scar outcome, but plastic surgery intervention might modify and also improve the outcome.
After an injury, specialist plastic surgeons like those at Pure Aesthetics, are able to try to improve the quality of final scar by getting rid of the injured tissue, as the damaged skin from crush or even the tear injuries will lead to a worse outcome than a surgically cut wound, and then delicately repairing the wound.
The amount of scarring depends much on the cause of the wound, like an injury or loose skin surgery, it’s size, direction and also the location; the person’s age (children tend to scar more than the older people); and skin characteristics, which includes the skin color. Also, some of the areas of the body are largely prone to scar poorly, like the shoulders, vertical abdominal scars and also on the back.
- Neck Lift: http://www.docshop.com/education/cosmetic/face/neck-lift
- Learn More About Neck Contouring: http://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/procedure-learning-center/face/neck-contouring-guide/
- Skin Tightening: http://www.plasticsurgeryportal.com/non-surgical-procedures/skin-tightening
- How Long Does It Take to Heal After Removal of Excess Skin: https://www.realself.com/question/long-heal-after-removal-excess-skin
- Excess Skin Removal After Extreme Weight Loss: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/excess_skin_removal_after_extreme_weight_loss/page4_em.htm
- Panniculectomy: http://www.docshop.com/education/cosmetic/body/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy
- Reconstructive Procedures: https://www.pureaesthetics.com.au/procedures/reconstructive/scar-revision-sydney-nsw/