What causes stretch marks on arms? Get more insights on causes such as working out, body building, removal cream and best treatment.
Stretch Marks on Arms
Stretch marks, or striae distensae, occur very commonly and create significant cosmetic skin disfigurement. These marks affect a large portion of the population. It’s reported that approximately 90% of pregnant women, 70% of adolescent females and 40% of adolescent males have stretch marks.
1 in men, striae typically occur as a result of a rapid growth spurt or weight gain at puberty, from endocrine disorders or as a consequence of participation in certain sports, especially weightlifting.
Excessive or chronic use of potent topical or systemic corticosteroids also promotes the formation of striae. Although frequently classified into two types, early (red) and mature (white or alba), striae represent linear dermal scars accompanied by epidermal atrophy.
While the use of lasers or light treatments to diminish the appearance of striae has been reported by a number of sources, controlled clinical studies are rare. New evidence suggests that targeted light therapy may have a significant benefit. We believe that the hypo pigmented component of striae can be safely treated with targeted 290 nm to 400 nm ultraviolet (UV) light.
These are a form of scarring that happens on the skin with an off color hue. They are usually caused by the tearing of the dermis of the skin which diminishes over time but do not completely disappear. They are a result of rapid stretching of the skin that is associated with rapid changes.
Stretch marks in most cases may be influenced by hormones change associated with hormone replacement therapy, puberty, body building and pregnancy.
The stretch marks on arms that are formed during pregnancy during the last trimester also occur on other parts of the body including breasts, thighs, lower back, arms and even buttocks.
Most of these stretch marks stretch marks on arms are not easily noticeable and may fade with time. If you have stretch marks that are unsightly or affecting a large area of your body, you may want to try one of several options available for clearing stretch marks.
To clear stretch marks stretch marks on arms, you can use creams, gels, lotions, laser as well as cosmetic surgery to treat stretch marks. However, there is little medical evidence to prove that the listed treatments are effective in clearing stretch marks and that why it is important that it is realistic in whatever they can achieve.
It should be considered that both laser and cosmetic surgery methods for stretch marks treatments are not easily available and thus private treatment are particularly expensive.
Stretch marks on arms happens when the body grows faster the skin can keep up with causing elastic fibers just below the skin surface to break thus resulting in stretch marks.
Jenifer Hudson Stretch Marks on Arms
This celebrity admitted in an Oprah show to having had a plastic surgery leading to disappearance of her stretch marks on arms.
Non-invasive stretch mark surgery procedures and skin invasive procedures are the two broad categories of plastic surgery for stretch mark removal. Non- invasive procedures work similarly to laser stretch mark removal applications.
While invasive technique involves the flattening of the stretch marks by removal of some skin tissues by either abdominoplasty or miniabdominoplasty. Furthermore, procedures like thigh and breast lift can be employed.
Do Stretch Marks on Arms Go Away
A surgical procedure can be used to remove lower abdominal stretch mark using a tummy tuck that removes the skin found below the navel where the stretch marks occur frequently. Pulsed dye laser therapy is known to encourage the growth of collagen and also elastin. It is best to use the therapy on newer stretch marks. The darker skinned individuals can also experience skin discolorations.
Fractional photothermolysis is the same as the pulsed dye laser in that it uses a laser. However, this works by targeting smaller areas of your skin causing less damage.
How to Remove Stretch Marks on Arms
Stretch marks are mainly found in the abdominal wall but can also occur on other parts of the body including the thighs, buttocks or even the arms. Sometimes they can easily cover a large area of the body.
While it is believed that pregnancy is the main cause of stretch marks, there are others that include; sudden gain or loss of weight, stress, rapid growth and changes in the physical conditions.
The skin consists of the outer layer, the middle layer and the deepest layer. The stretch marks form in the middle layer of the skin when the connective tissue that is found in the layer is stretched beyond the powers of its flexibility due to the rapid contraction or expansion of the skin.
When the skin is stretched, the collagen is weakened and the normal production is adversely interrupted and finally damaged. The ultimate results is the scars that are found on top most layer of the skin. Initially they look pink but the color may change over time, silvery linings may be seen appearing and the stretch marks on arms is thus born.
They can make you feel self-conscious and very uncomfortable about their appearance. Fortunately, there are natural ways that can be used to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Castor oil
This oil is used in the treatment of a number of skin diseases that includes wrinkles, age spots, moles, pimples and even dark spots. It can also be used in the treatment of stretch marks on arms. To use castor oil in clearing of stretch marks;
- Apply some castor oil gently on the affected area, in this case , the arms and gently massage the area in circular motions for about 10 minutes
- Wrap the area with a very thin cotton cloth. Using hot water bottle or even a heating pad, apply some heat to the arms for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure daily for a minimum of one month for better noticeable results
- Aloe Vera
This is an effective option in the treatment for many skin problems. It has a healing and soothing properties that can be used to get rid of stretch marks on arms, there are a few methods that can be used when applying aloe Vera.
- You can either directly apply aloe Vera by rubbing it on the affected area, leave it on for about 20 minutes and then rinse using warm water
- Another available option is by mixing with one fourth cup of aloe Vera gel, oil from vitamin E capsules. Rub the mixture on the skin until fully absorbed. Repeat the process daily for better results.
- Egg whites
Eggs are known to be having a rich source of protein. For stretch marks on arms, you may only want to use the egg whites only that contain amino acids and proteins.
- Whip the eggs, at least two, with a fork. Clean the affected area using clean warm water and apply a thick layer of egg white with a make-up brush
- Allow the applied egg white to dry completely and then rinse the area by using cold water
- Finally, apply some olive on the skin so that maintains its moisturization
- Repeat the process daily for at least two weeks and watch for positive results.
- Lemon juice
This is another simplest way to lessen stretch marks on arms. This juice is naturally acidic and thus helping to heal stretch marks, acne and also other scars.
- Rub the juice of the lemon on the affected area gently using circular motions. Always allow the lemon juice to soak onto the skin for at least 15 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Another option is by mixing equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and gently apply the made mixture on the stretch marks.
The natural sugar that is white is one of the most cherished remedies that gets rid of stretch marks on arms. It can be used to exfoliate the skin also.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and also a few drops of lemon juice. Shake and mix it well and gently apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for about 10 minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Do this for one moth or longer and watch the disappearance of the stretch marks as they become lighter
- Potato juice
Potato juice has vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restores skin cells.
- Cut a potato into thick slices
- Take one of the cut slices and gently rub on the stretch marks for about 10 minutes. Make sure that the starch from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow the potato juice to dry for some time and then wash it off by using warm water.
The leaves of this plant contains eight very essential amino acids that is good for overall health of the skin. They are also rich in protein and vitamins that helps in nourishing of the skin and reducing stretch marks on arms.
- Mix some plant powder with a few drops of chamomile oil forming a thick paste
- Massage the paste gently on the affected area for about two to three times a day
- Repeat the process daily for few weeks and you will notice improved skin tone and disappearance of the stretch marks.
- Cocoa butter
Cocoa is very beneficial in the treatment of the stretch marks on arms. It is also an excellent natural moisturizer. It helps in nourishing the skin and reducing of the appearance of stretch marks.
- You should apply cocoa butter on the affected area for at least two times a day for about four months
- Another available option is by mixing a half a cup of cocoa butter, one tablespoon of wheat germ oil, two teaspoons of grated beeswax and some apricot kernel oil and vitamin E oil. Heat strongly the mixture until the beeswax melts. Store the mixture in an airtight container in a refrigerator and apply on the stretch marks gently for at least three times a day. This mixture makes the skin more hydrated and smooth.
- Olive oil
This oil contains a lot of nutrients and antioxidants that helps in improving of various skin problems including the stretch marks.
- Massage slightly warm extra virgin oil into the affected area. This improves the blood circulation and reduces the stretch marks greatly
- Leave it for half an hour so that the vitamins in the oil can be absorbed by the skin.
Olive oil can also be mixed with water and vinegar and thus use it as a night cream. This keeps the skin moisturized and also exfoliate the skin.
Ensure to keep the body well hydrated helps protecting the skin from many kinds’ of infections and also assists in detoxification. Water also helps keeping the skin supple and thus restoring the elasticity.
Try to drink a few glasses of water several times a day. Medical expert’s advice that you should drink about 8 glasses of water per day as the best way to keeping the body hydrated.
Water also helps in keeping the body soft and maintain the body’s elasticity. It is advisable to avoid coffee or soda though
These natural remedies also helps much in fading of the stretch marks on arms but they can completely remove them. Feel free to see the doctor if you are concerned on appearance of stretch marks that appears on your skin.
Best Cream for Stretch marks
- Palmer’s cocoa butter formula massage cream for stretch marks; this is a non-greasy cream that helps to prevent the appearance of stretch marks that are caused by pregnancy. Made from 100% pure cocoa butter and enriched with Vitamin E, Collagen and Elastin, Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Cream for Stretch Marks hydrates the skin; helping the epidermis to maintain its natural elasticity and helping to prevent the tears which appear as stretch marks.
The product is dermatologically tested to also help in prevention and relieving of the dryness that is associated with the stretched skin due to pregnancy. Gently massage the cream into the areas that are prone to stretch marks twice per day.
- Weleda stretch mark massage oil; this is a pure natural oil formula that nourishes the skin thus protecting the skin from dryness. This oil effectively helps in prevention of the development of pregnancy stretch marks. Oil protects the skin against the drying effect that usually occurs during the pregnancy period. With the regular massage using this oil will prevent the development of stretch marks on arms.
- Revitol Stretch Mark Cream
- Mederma Stretch Mark Therapy Cream
- Bio Oil for Stretch Marks
- Palmers Cocoa Butter
- Skinception Stretch Marks Cream
How to Get Rid of Red Stretch Marks Naturally
Some stretch marks may fade naturally but others remain darker and more showy. The best time to get rid of stretch marks is at the stage when they are still reddish. Gels that are made of mix of extracts of onion and hyaluronic acid may at times help. In one study that was carried out, by using of the gel, the marks faded away after only three months of regular use.
Another option is retinoid that your dermatologist may prescribe. This speeds up the cell turnover and also stimulates the new collagen growth thus leading to plumber and healthier skin, note that you should not use this method while you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Lasers can also be used in treatment of stretch marks by heating the skin. This boosts the growth of collagen and shrinks the dilated blood vessels. Although it may take more than one session to see positive results.
Gentler processes known as dermabrasion can also help to renew the skin but they do not provide a big change.
How to Prevent Stretch Marks
You can avoid formation of stretch marks by trying out the following:
- Heavy weight; the rapid gaining of weight is one of the causes that brings about stretch marks. Good dieting results to your weight going up and down. Thus you should avoid rapid weight gain as this prevents the occurrence of stretch marks.
- During pregnancy, stretch marks are due to hormonal changes and gaining weight steadily. This is normal
- How to Prevent Stretch Marks: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/prevent-stretch-marks.html
- What Can Be Done to Prevent Stretch Marks: http://americanpregnancy.org/your-pregnancy/prevent-pregnancy-stretchmarks/
- Stretch Marks And Skin Care In Pregnancy: http://www.boots.com/en/Mother-Baby/Pregnancy/Stretch-marks-and-skin-care-in-pregnancy/
- Is It Possible to Get Rid of Stretch Marks: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/body-care/_/is-it-possible-to-get-rid-of-stretch-marks