Get more insights on how to clean your tongue naturally using different method and reagent like baking soda. You will also be conversant with the use of the scraper or a spoon to clean your tongue. From these tips you will understand the benefit of tongue cleaning.
Tongue scraping is an oral hygiene practice that is done to get rid of harmful bacteria, fungi, toxins, food debris and dead cells from the surface of the tongue. The accumulation of bacteria and fungi on the tongue are related to many problems affecting the respiratory and digestive system. You can use tongue scraper or tongue brush to clean the tongue.
At your sleep, the mouth cavity becomes inactive that enable bacteria and fungi to grow and multiply at a faster rate in the oral cavity. The digestive system also removes toxin substance from your body which gets deposited on the surface of the tongue.
Dental advisers recommend that, tongue scraping is the best way to remove growing fungi and bacterial from the surface of the tongue. The accumulated toxin is also removed in the process of scraping your tongue.
Brushing and flossing your mouth cavity can only remove large food particle between the teeth and leave behind almost half of the bacteria and fungi that coats your tongue. Scraping the tongue helps to collect all the bacteria and toxins that are deep located on the dead cell found on the tongue. When you use tongue scraper to clean your tongue, bad smell deposit that range in color from clear, white, yellow or green will be removed.
How to Clean Your Tongue
Tongue cleaning is an important health practice that should be done on the basis of daily practice. Some people may use toothbrush to clean their oral cavity but may not remember to clean the tongue. Brushing your teeth twice a day will not help to get rid of bad smell from your oral cavity until you learn how to clean your tongue. Try the following procedure and see the outcomes;
- Inspecting the tongue in front of the mirror
Use the mirror to check out your tongue. Observe different part of the tongue. Your tongue should have relatively smooth surface with pink color. The presence of bumps and crevices on the tongue can harbor bacteria and fungi. These can result to formation of slimy film on your tongue that can lead to health problems. When you observe stark discoloration that persists on the tongue for a long time, medical consultation will be useful.
- Selecting a tool for tongue cleaning
There are many variety of tools used to clean the tongue. Tongue brush and the scraper is the most known tool found on the market. A scraper is a common tongue cleaning tool that has a series of soft ridges that are placed across the tongue and pulled to remove the deposit from surface of the tongue.
There is also a combination of the scraper-brush that enables you to scrape while brushing the tongue. Toothbrush will not function effective as the tongue brush or the scraper. Alternatively, you can pick tea spoon for cleaning your tongue.
The material used to make tongue cleaning tool also should be considered. Some scrapers are made from metal while others from plastic and silicon. Stainless steel and coper are the common metal used to make the scraper. Metal scrapers are durable but very expensive. They can be used more than once when they are maintained by sterilizing in hot water.
Plastic and silicon scraper are less expensive but not durable. They need regular replacement. Silicon scraper is more comfortable for scraping the tongue. The choice and preference is yours, go for the best one.
Make comparison of the brands of a scraper you want to buy. There are many companies that produce tongue cleaner. Go for good quality product that is affordable. When you are satisfied with the brand you liked, then you can buy it.
- Cleaning techniques
Before you start cleaning your tongue, ensure you have clean water in a glass or running water in the sink.
- Open your mouth wide and extent the tongue. This is to enable you to have maximum length of your tongue. Extending your tongue enables you to clean large surface and also avoid gaggling.
- Using your hand, take the scraper or tongue brush and place it on the surface of the tongue from the back side. Scrape or brush your tongue from the back gently. Do it repeatedly and remove the residue that will get on the cleaning tool by rinsing it in clean water.
- Rinse you mouth using clean water to remove all the residue and particles. During the cleaning process and avoid swallowing the residue because they harbor bacterial and fungi that can result to digestive problems.
- After cleaning your tongue, wash your scraper or tongue brush and keep it for the next use.
- It is advisable to clean your tongue on regular basis and make it a daily habit.
How to Clean Your Tongue with a Spoon
When a scraper is not readily availed, you can use a spoon to clean the tongue. Here are tips on how to clean your tongue using spoon.
- Get a spoon; it is good to pick out the smaller because it will be more effective than a larger one. Teaspoon will be the right choice.
- Clean it in water. These help to moisten it which hastens cleaning of residue from it.
- Extend your tongue from the mouth to ensure that spoon reaches all the surface of the tongue.
- Invert the spoon by turning it upside down. Place it at the back of your tongue and apply some force using your hand and draw it forward.
- Scrape it gently to avoid pain and irritation of the tongue.
- Rinse the spoon with clean water to remove the accumulated residue.
- Repeat the process of craping your tongue until when almost all the debris is removed.
- Rinse your mouth with clean water to remove the residue.
- Finally clean your spoon for the next use.
How to Clean Tongue Naturally
White coating on your tongue is an indication that you might be suffering from fungal infection. The white coating can be cleaned naturally to get rid of this fungal infection that may result to bad breath and also can interfere with the taste of the food. If white coating on the tongue is bothering, try the following natural method to clean your tongue.
- Use sea salt
Sea salt is the best natural reagent you can use to clean white-coating on the tongue. The sea salt will work as the scraper to remove debris and dead cell. Mix the salt with water to use as mouthwash. Brush you tongue gently and use the salt water to wash mouth cavity.
Alternatively, you can sprinkle salt crystals on the surface of tongue and scrub gently with a toothbrush for about 2 minutes. Then rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat the practice twice a day to maintain clean tongue.
- Use vegetable glycerin
Vegetable glycerin can be used to clean your tongue at home. The method is effective when the problem of tongue coating is due to dry mouth. The glycerin will help to remove the bacteria and fungus deposit on the tongue.it inhibits the development of fungus that can result to bad breath. Vegetable glycerin is local available in the food stores.
Take a little vegetable oil and place on the surface of the tongue. Brush your tongue gently and rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat the procedure twice a day to maintain pink color of the tongue.
How to Clean Your Tongue with Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used to maintain clean oral cavity. People have been using baking soda to whiten their teeth and at the same time they discovered that it also made their tongue to be pink in color. The backing soda helps to remove white coating on the tongue hence reduce bacterial and fungus deposit on the surface of the tongue.
Mix a baking soda with lemon juice to make smooth paste. Put the paste on the toothbrush and start brushing your tongue from the back. Rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
Alternatively, take few prouder of the baking soda and sprinkle on the surface of the tongue. Brush your tongue gently and rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat the practice twice a day.
Tongue Cleaning Benefits
Does cleaning your tongue earn you some benefits? If this question sounds common to you, it is clear that tongue cleaning will promote you to good oral hygiene for the general health of entire body and other rewards as discussed below.
- Remove bacteria and toxin from the tongue
Tongue cleaning helps to get rid of harmful bacteria that accumulate on the surface of the tongue. The presence of pathogen organism in the oral cavity can lead to respiratory and digestive problem. Tongue cleaning is important practice to remove bacteria from the oral cavity which improves digestive health.
- Preventing bad breath
The condition of having foul-smelling breath is due to the coating of the tongue by fungus and bacteria. The rotting smell from the oral cavity has negative impact on the personal life, relationships and can lower your self-esteem. Scraping your tongue reduces oral bacterial from the crevice of the tongue that causes bad breath. Cleaning your tongue is the best way to maintain fresh breath.
- Experience the flavor of your food
The coating of the tongue blocks the taste buds of your tongue. When taste buds are not directly exposed to food may lead to false cravings or inability to get the taste of the food. Tongue cleaning exposes your taste buds that will enhance salivation for greater enjoyment of the flavor.
- Improve body immunity
Oral hygiene is one way to improve your immunity system. The accumulated toxin on the surface of the tongue can be reabsorbed in to your body and lower the defense mechanism of the body. Cleaning your tongue removes these toxins from the surface of the tongue which ensure your body immunity remain strong. To improve the immunity system, your tongue is the first part to consider.
- Dental care
The oral hygiene practice enhance tooth and gum health. Cleaning your tongue removes bacteria and toxins which are responsible for periodontal problems like toothache, tooth decay. Loss of teeth, gum infection and gum bleeding. Cleaning you your tongue will help your to escape periodontal problems.
- How to clean your tongue; http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Your
- Reason to scrape your tongue;http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12028/5-reasons-why-everyone-needs-a-tongue-scraper.htmlhttp://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12028/5-reasons-why-everyone-needs-a-tongue-scraper.html
- Benefit of tongue cleaning;http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/living-ayurveda/herbs/the-benefits-of-a-tongue-scraper/.
- Tongue caring,http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/conditions/bad-breath/article/sw-281474979247039