What causes dry skin on face? Dry itchy skin on face? Scaly, rash and dry patches on face? Get more insights on causes and how to get rid of dry skin on face fast naturally with home remedies.
Most people experience a dry skin on face. This condition hardly associate a serious medical condition but can cause appearance disappointment and inconveniences as a result of itching, flaking, irritations and low self-esteem.
Before getting to know the various ways on how to prevent and treat dry skin on face, it is better to first know the possible causes and comprehensively understand why this problem occurs.
Dry Skin on Face
“Dry skin, medically known as xerosis or xeroderma, is usually a mild condition caused by environmental factors, although dry skin can also result from some common skin ailments. Inherited diseases of the skin known as ichthyoses, while very rare, can also cause disfiguration and excessively dry skin.”[medicinenet.com]
This condition can affect the entire body parts or specific areas such as the face, hands or legs. It associate various symptoms such as flaking, dullness, pain, flaking, redness and formation of patches on the skin. There are also patients who experience skin inflammation, peeling skin rash and skin tightness.
Dry skin on face or any other part requires treatment to avoid more complications such as embarrassment, dermatitis, swelling of the skin and infections. There are different treatments on how to get rid of dry skin on face. Since this condition is mostly external, most of the treatments also involve external applications such as creams, lotions and dry skin moisturizers.
Causes of Dry Skin on Face
Most of the causes of dry skin are environmentally associated while a few involve underlying medical conditions. Here are the major reasons for drying and flaking of skin.
Dry Air and Low Temperatures
Winter is a weather season that associate dropping in temperatures with increase in humidity. This leads to formation of a dry air that carries away moisture from your skin causing itching, flaking and formation of dry patches on the skin.
To prevent your skin from such weather conditions, ensure that you create a moisture barrier that can protect more exposed parts like face, hands, lips and arms. You can use scarf, gloves and long sleeved tops and pants.
You can also install a humidifier in your house or home that is regulated at a constant humidity and temperatures. This will help in keeping the air around moist during winter weather. Apply appropriate dry skin moisturizer while getting outdoors.
Sun Poisoning/ Sunburn
The radiations from the sun are powerful and they appear in various dimensions and spectrum. The UV rays are one of the dangerous rays from the sun and when they exceed the required limit in the body they can cause a serious harm. This is why the ozone layer in the atmosphere helps in reducing the intensity of such radiations. Sun poisoning is the effects of these radiations on the skin.
The skin is made up of several layers of cells. The top most layer is composed of dead skin cells that are usually dark in color. They are useful in protecting the skin from harmful effect of the sun. One of the dangerous property of UV rays is the ability to penetrate these dead skin cells to cause damage to the live underneath cells hence causing a dry skin on face and other exposed parts of the body.
One way on how to get rid of dry skin on face caused sun poisoning by observing the following preventive measures:
- The sun is normally too hot during the pick hours. Avoid getting outdoors from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses with UV protection, long sleeved shirts and pants.
- Avoid medications and drugs that makes your skin vulnerable to the sun poisoning
- Avoid abuse of substances such as excessive use of mind altering drugs which will impair your judgment.
- Be cautious while going for short and sequential sun exposure since it can cause tanning and skin cancer in the long run.
- Avoid tanning beds since they are associated with serious cell conditions such as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.
- Young adults and children are at high risk of sun poisoning compared to the aged people.
- Use sun screen and sun protection while outdoors.
Steamy and Hot Showers
A hot shower is what most people enjoy. It is good in relaxing the muscles as well as soothing the skin but is a devastating thing when it comes to your skin texture. Steamy showers removes natural oils from the skin leaving it dry. Such oils makes the skin supple and glowing.
When you scrub off your skin with a towel after taking a shower, you are also risking a dry skin on face and on entire body. The skin surface usually absorbs some of the moisture and toweling strips such moisture away.
According to Cheryl Karcher, MD, a dermatologist, hot water damages the top layer of the skin and makes it vulnerable to moisture loss. “Most people with really dry skin are probably using soap that is too strong, or they’re taking long hot shower or baths,”
Therefore on of the best way on how to get a glowing skin that is not dry and flaky is to avoid steamy showers. Make the temperature moderate and take little time. The more you overstay in the hot shower, the more you cause more harm to your skin.
Skin Lightening creams
There are many dangers of skin lightening creams reported and observed among many users. According to dermatologists, skin bleaching creams can only be safe when prescribed by a specialist. “Unfortunately, many skin-lightening creams contain illegal compounds that can damage your health,” [Indy Rihal of the British Skin Foundation]. “The most common compounds are high-dose steroids.”
Hydroquinone is also a chemical substance available in most of the skin whitening products. This is a bleaching agent that can also be risky to the body health of the user. Steroids are fine when used in correct doses. “Unmonitored use of high-dose steroids can lead to many problems,” [Rihal]. “Patients are often very distressed by the results of skin-lightening creams.”
Dry skin is one of the possible effect of skin lightening products such as skin whitening creams and skin lightening pills. Avoid products that contain harsh chemical elements. Moisturize your skin to avoid flaking and drying before application of any treatment on how to bleach your skin.
Moisturizer use is one of the best way to prevent a dry skin on face or any other part of the body. When you don’t use moisturizers correctly, you are also going to be a long term patient of dry skin. This product ought to be applied on damp skin so that it can tap and maintain the moisture on your skin.
Application on a dry flaky skin will not help but will keep you contending with your dry skin for long. Do not also apply on a wet skin, apply it immediately after patting your skin dry with a piece of towel. Allow it to stay and act for few minutes and use you towel to remove the excess.
Use the correct type of moisturizer for your skin. According to experts, you are supposed to use mild moisturizers with no perfumes or alcohol for your dry skin. They recommend a thick and greasy moisturizer since this makes it ideal for sealing and tapping moisture on your skin.
Some dermatologists recommends the dry skin patients to use moisturizers that contain lactic acid that strips off the top dry and flaky skin to allow penetration into the skin. Apply it twice or thrice during the day especially if your skin is too dry.
David McDaniel, MD, assistant professor of clinical dermatology at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Virginia Beach also recommends products containing glycerin or petroleum jelly to apply particularly to the dry spots. According to him, glycerin acts as a humectant hence suitable for attracting and tapping moisture into the skin. Despite the appearance as thick and goopy, its molecules are large enough to penetrate the skin pores.
Use of Soap
Soap is regularly used in daily washing and cleaning of the body without knowledge on the effect. Natural protective oils can be stripped away by the soap leaving your skin dry, cracked and prone to infections. Harsh deodorant and antibacterial soaps forms more lather form that can leave a dry skin on face, hands and other parts.
Establish on how to get rid of dry skin on face once you learn of the symptoms. Experts recommends use of mild skin cleanser especially for people with dry skin. Soaps with no fragrances are also recommended. Wash your body with soft materials and avoid using harsh abrasive sponges and brushes to scrub your skin. For bleaching your skin, there are best skin lightening soaps recommended for you.
The skin is likely to change as people age. There is low secretion of hormones hence little production of natural oils on the skin to maintain moisture. You can use antioxidant and ant aging products such as creams and lotions to help in your skin restoration. There are also irritants such as detergents, fabrics and chemical spillage on skins that can also contribute to this matter
Use of certain medicines can also lead to a flaky skin rush. There are a number of drugs that have such side effects. Examples include diuretics, drugs for treatment of high blood pressure, retinoid and steroids among others.
As said, most of the dry skin cases are linked to external causes while there are some cases that associated an underlying medical condition. Among them include the following:
Skin diseases and conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
Diabetes due to unregulated glucose levels in the blood can cause dehydration hence dry skin.
Underactive thyroid gland hence low level of natural skin oils production.
Lack of sufficient nutrients in the body can cause skin disorders and drying of the skin.
How to Get Rid of Dry Skin on Face Naturally – Home Remedies
The following natural ingredients are suitable for getting rid of dry skin on your face.
This is a natural antioxidant ingredient that contains vitamin E for a healthy skin. Here is how to use:
- Gently warm up some pure almond oil.
- Massage your body lightly with the warm oil a half an hour before taking a shower.
- After your shower when your skin is still damp, apply some light moisturizer.
- Do this once daily.
- Alternatively drink a glass of warm milk mixed with one teaspoon of almond oil before going to bed
It is a strong natural antifungal that has both antiseptic and skin soothing properties. It is however suitable for protecting your skin against impurities hence making it remain young looking.
- Cut open a fresh aloe vera leaf and squeeze the gel out of it.
- Apply the gel on your dry skin. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this twice daily.
This a natural antioxidant oil that also contain fatty acids that make it suitable for your skin. The skin remains soothed and conditioned when you apply as follows:
- Dab a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil under your regular moisturizer.
- About a half an hour before taking a shower, rub some olive oil on your hands, legs and other areas with dry skin and massage lightly. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
- Mix two tablespoons of olive oil, four tablespoons of fine brown sugar, and one tablespoon of honey. Rub this homemade scrub on your dry skin using light, circular motions for a few minutes. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
This is an anti-inflammatory agent that also soothes and help repair dry skin on face. Lactic acid in milk helps in exfoliating dead skin cells from your skin hence giving you a fair complexion. Milk cream is also ideal for healing and repair of a damaged dry skin. Apply as follows:
- Soak a washcloth in cold milk and put the cloth on your dry skin for five to seven minutes. Gently wash off the milk with another cloth soaked in lukewarm water. This way this natural moisturizer will remain on your skin. Do this every other day.
- Add a few drops of rose water to four tablespoons of milk. Rub this solution all over your body. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash your body with cold water. Follow this remedy twice daily.
- Mix a few drops of lemon juice, one teaspoon of milk and two teaspoons of milk cream. Rub it on your hands and legs. Leave it on for a while before you take a shower. Do this once daily.
- Add enough milk cream to three to four tablespoons of gram flour to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your face, hands and legs. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
Honey is the best natural antioxidant that possess antimicrobial and humectant properties. This is how to get rid of dry skin on face naturally using honey:
- Before taking a bath or shower, rub honey all over your body and leave it on for five to 10 minutes. Repeat daily to enjoy well-moisturized skin.
- Measure out equal parts of unprocessed honey, beeswax, and olive oil. Melt the beeswax in a small pan over low heat. Remove it from the heat and mix in the honey and then the olive oil. Apply this mixture all over your body and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then take a shower. Repeat daily or every other day.
This is an effective ingredient for the treatment of dry skin.
- Liberally apply warm coconut oil all over your body before going to sleep. Wash it off in the morning. Do this daily to make your skin soft and smooth.
- Apply coconut oil on your dry skin after you take a bath or shower. When the skin is warm and supple from your bath, coconut oil is more readily absorbed. Do this daily.
It contains vitamins, antioxidants and fatty acids effective restoration of dry skin.
- Mash the pulp of an avocado into a smooth paste. Rub the paste all over your dry skin. Let it sit on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. Repeat the process once daily.
- Mash one-half of a ripe avocado and stir in one-half cup of honey. Apply the mixture on your dry skin and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Apply this hydrating face mask once or twice a week. Do not use more often than that.
- You can also drink a glass of an avocado smoothie daily to increase your intake of healthy fats that will help keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
This is a natural skin moisturizer that soothes and restore dry skin on face, arms and entire body. It has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties suitable for your skin. Here is how to use:
- Pour one cup of plain oatmeal into your bathtub filled with warm water. Add a few drops of lavender oil. Soak in the bath water for 15 to 30 minutes. Enjoy this soothing bath once a week.
- Make a face mask by mixing one mashed ripe banana with one cup of ground oatmeal and then adding a little bit of lukewarm milk. Apply this smooth mixture on your dry skin and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. Use this face mask once a week.
Trying the above ways on how to get rid of dry skin on face, arms, legs, abdomen, chin, with no change, seek medical assistance from your doctor or a dermatologist. It could be a sign of a serious underlying medical condition that requires serious treatment.