A critical look into the causes of a painful lump in the armpit that usually hurts in males and females as well as the signs and symptoms that are associated with the lumps in the armpit. Finally an analysis of medication and treatment of the lump under armpit.
The lymph nodes are located under the arm and many people will find themselves uncomfortable when they find themselves with them. This lumps can sometimes be a direct cause of bacterial or viral infections, tissue growths, allergies or cancerous growth. Once a general practitioner has conducted biopsy the cause of the lump will be established.
Lump under armpit
The usual and most common causes of lump under armpit are;
- Various infections like the bacterial or viral
- The presence of the lipomas which are the harmless fat tissue
- Some people may be prone to allergic reactions
- If someone has adverse reactions to vaccinations
- Fungal infections of the body
- The fibroadenoma, which is the non-cancerous fibrous tissue growth in the body.
- The body’s response to breast cancer
- An indication of the body to the cancer of the lymphatic system also known as lymphoma
- Can be a sign of leukemia which is the blood cancer that affects the bone marrow
- An autoimmune disease that mostly affects the organs of the body and the joints.
However, it is possible to experience a swelling on the face that is not related to injury of any sort, as much as the general practitioner may have to check it, it might be caused by any of the below;
- Mumps – which is an infection of the body by a virus that mostly affects children causing swelling of the glands that occurs on the side of the face
- An allergy– some allergens can cause swelling of the deeper layers of the skin referred to as angioedema
- Dental abscess causes the swelling on the side of the mouth
- Salivary gland stone- sometimes, the chemicals that is found in the saliva crystallize and block the flow of saliva from the salivary gland that is found near the jaw causing a lot of pain and even swelling of the parts near the jaw.
- Swollen lymph nodes – this nodes may swell or be inflamed when they try to fight cancerous tumor cell or even just simple germs that affect the body. They are very soft lumps and very tender to touch and are located under the skin of the body. A breast infection can also make the lymph nodes to swell due to infections like herpes, AIDS and maybe mono.
Treatment: this pea sized lumps under the armpits should not be interfered with because they disappear on their own, you should only pain relievers to limit the discomfort.
- Cysts or lipomas – these can be checked using fingers by moving around the affected area with gentle pressure. They can be harmless making the skin turn yellow causing the pea sized lump in the armpit.
Treatment: the lumps don’t require any kind of treatment since they are harmless, but if they cause any other trouble or they are unsightly, then other options like surgery can be considered. Steroid injection can also be an option, treatment will be depended on the size of the lump under armpit.
- Ingrown hairs – these hairs can be caused by shaving that might look like lumps that are under the armpits, however the lumps are not harmful and very common among amongst young adolescent girls.
Treatment: the ingrown hairs can cause unsightly look and may make a person to be uncomfortable. Care should be taken when a person is shaving the armpits. A clean razor blade should be used for the shaving task and hot water should be used in the armpits before a person starts to shave the area. Avoid interfering with the area that is affected until the completely disappears
- Antiperspirants – the regular and consistent use of antiperspirants can also lead to lumps under armpits. This is more common when your body reacts or is very allergic to one of the chemicals that are found and used in the manufacturing of antiperspirant.
Treatment- you should ensure that you change the brand and compare how each brand works on your skin, if you continuously get pea sized lump in your armpit then you should avoid the usage of any other antiperspirant
- Allergic reactions- some drugs like penicillin and others that are made from sulfa can all cause allergic reaction by the body. Smallpox and some typhoid vaccines can lead to a person experiencing reactions from the lymph nodes that leads to lumps in the armpit
Treatment- identify the cause of the problem and eliminate it from routine, this can be achieved with the help of a medical doctor. A medical specialist can help to pin point and identify the culprit.
- Cancers– cancers are closely related to pea sized lumps under the armpit. These include leukemia, breast cancer and so on, the tumor is usually of different sizes and is immobile.
Treatment: there are several cancer treatments that are available such as chemotherapy, radiation or surgery. Surgery involves the doctor identifying the cause of the problem and establishes the need to undergo surgery to get rid of the lump and make sure that the spread to other parts of the body is prevented.
Chemotherapy involves use of certain drugs that specifically treat cancer. The experience of someone to this process is quite terrifying but having knowledge of how it works can help calm the situation.
Radiation therapy involves penetration of high energy waves into the body to destroy the cancerous cells. When used, better results can be achieved.
Lump In Armpit That Hurts Male
A lump in the armpit is the most common symptom of cancer. Most armpit lumps are not cancerous. They are usually fluid-filled lumps (cysts) or a fibro adenoma, which is made up of fibrous and glandular tissue. But it is important to get a lump or any of these symptoms checked by your general practitioner straight away.
If a lump or other symptom is caused by breast cancer, the earlier you have treatment, the more successful it’s likely to be.
Lump In Armpit That Hurts Female
Painful lump armpit can occur to any person regardless of gender
Breast and armpit lumps are very common and most women will experience one or more lumps at some time in her life. Happily, the vast majority (at least nine out of ten) are benign, or not cancerous. These benign lumps can be caused by cysts (sacs of fluid which build up in the breast tissue) or fibro adenomas (solid growths made up of fibrous and glandular tissue).
If you find a lump in your breast Swelling or a lump under armpit, or notice any other changes such as:
- Change in size or shape of your breasts
- dimpling of the skin (skin looks like texture of orange peel)
- Lumpiness or thickening
- Newly inverted (turned-in) nipple
- bloodstained discharge from nipple
- Rash on nipple or surrounding area
You must see your doctor straight away. Your general practitioner will examine you and then will arrange for you to have any tests or X-rays you may need at the hospital or specialist clinic. These tests may include
- Mammography (X-ray examination of the breasts)
- Ultrasound (sound waves are used to create an image of the lump)
- color Doppler (a special type of ultrasound which gives a color picture showing the blood supply to the lump – tumors often have a very rich blood supply)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – a scan using a magnetic field to build up a cross-sectional picture of your body,
- Needle aspiration; a fine needle and syringe is used to take a sample of cells from the breast lump to send to the laboratory for tests
- Core biopsy; a small sample of the breast tissue is taken for examination in the laboratory
- Excision biopsy; the lump is removed under general anesthetic and sent to the laboratory for examination
Sore Spot In Armpit No Lump
Other than lump under armpit, the body can experience, viral infections that can be treated with simple self-care measures at home. However, for persistent sore spots on the body, it is important to seek medical advice because they can be symptoms of an infection in the body.
Bacterial infections are always treated with antibiotics otherwise, if left untreated, then it can become complicated by affecting other parts of the body
Painless Lump under Armpit
A painless lump that is found under the armpit is most likely a lipoma, which is a soft fatty lump that appears and grows under the skin. This is very common and it is very common and can be left alone. When pressed, it feels very soft to touch, the size can range from a pea to a few centimeter across.
A cyst is another lump that can be found under the armpit that contains pus fluid, it can look like a lipoma on the surface but it’s more close to the surface than a lipoma. Unlike a lipoma, cysts are more firm to touch and may disappear on its own without treatment or you may have it drained by a medical practitioner. A cyst may not be a lump under armpit.
Common Armpit conditions
There are several conditions in the armpits that leads to lumps in the armpits that include the following;
- Hyperhidrosis– when a person experiences excessive sweating, it affects the armpits and the hands, although the cause is unknown, but researchers link it to stress and anxiety
- Irritant contact dermatitis-sometimes skin inflammation that includes swelling and redness of the skin is caused by various irritating substances coming into contact with the skin. Some soaps, deodorants and dry air can cause irritation to the skin in the armpits
- Allergic contact dermatitis-allergic reactions to something that directly touches the skin, causes redness and small blisters. This dermatitis affect the skin of the armpit more than irritant dermatitis more often.
- Psoriasis-this is a condition that causes red plaques with a silvery skin to appear on the skin mainly under the armpits. This is an autoimmune condition implying that the body’s immune system attacks the body sow tissues.
- Acanthosis nigricans– this disorder causes velvety brown skin to black markings under the armpits, the groin or under the breasts. This might cause lump under armpit
- Candidiasis– this is the infection of the skin by the yeast candida, that causes irritation of the skin with white plaques since candida is favored by warm moist skin, then it might target the armpits causing lump under armpit
- Armpit folliculitis- this is the inflammation of the hair follicles that is caused by inflammation of the hair follicles, the swelling may be caused by bacterial infection, most of them is mild and may go away on its own.
Multiple Painful Lumps in Armpit
When lymph one of the lymph nodes in your armpit enlarges, it creates a lump. Lymph nodes are usually small glands that are oval-shaped located throughout the body and are very vital in the body’s immune system.
This lumps may sometimes be very small but in some other cases, they can be extremely noticeable. Armpit lumps may be caused by cyst, irritation of shaving or even an infection but they may as well indicate a very serious medical condition.
Ensure that you seek medical attention from a medical doctor if you feel that you have a lump that seems to be gradually enlarging and painful that won’t go away
Pea Sized Lump in Armpit That Hurts
A pea sized lump occurring under the armpits can be a response of a person having swollen lymph nodes under the arms. Lymph nodes, being part of the lymphatic system try to always fight off any bacteria or any other infections that attack the body, however, don’t try to panic when you discover that.
In several cases, it is not very serious and may resolve on its own in a few days. If it does not, then have an appointment with your medical doctor for further analysis and investigation of having been other underlying causes of the swelling.
Pea sized Lump in Armpit Painless
A lump in the armpit is more likely a swollen lymph gland that occurs more especially when a person ia unwell and may indicate other signs of infection in the body. This glands in the body can swell to more than 1 centimeter due to the infection in the body but they always go down when a person recovers assuming no other body infections
Lymphoma do not always occur under the armpits i.e. the cancer of the lymph nodes but ensure that you visit your general practitioner if the lump does not go away.
A lump that hangs in the armpit can probably be a skin tag that grows when the skin rubs a clothing most of the time.
Lump under armpit Treatment
The treatment of armpit lumps entirely depend on the underlying cause. If the cause of the infection is bacterial, then oral antibiotics can be used. The armpit lump disappears after several days after the start of medication, however if the infection is associated with allergies, then it should subside after the start of medication and avoiding allergens.
If the armpit is found to have a lump that is cancerous, it will be important to refer a patient to a doctor who is a specialist in cancer for further care where treatment of the lump under armpit will depend on the type of cancer and that stage of the cancer.
Ensure to seek prompt medical care when you think that the symptoms indicated are of breast cancer such as breast pain or a lump in the breast that may indicate a breast infection.
How to Get Rid of Lump under Armpits Fast, Naturally – Home Remedies
Lumps in armpits can also be treated by use of the following home remedies;
- Warm compress for armpit lump
Subjecting the area with the lump to hot or warm temperature increases the rate of blood circulation hence reducing pain and size of the lump. Here is what you ought to do;
- Soak a towel in hot water.
- Wring out the excess water.
- Place the towel while still warm under your armpit for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process for 3 or 4 times and within one week symptoms will subside.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
This is an effective ingredient for the removal of painful lump under armpit. It has both antiseptic and antibacterial properties that make it a suitable home remedy for pain and swelling hence promoting a faster healing. Here is how to use;
- Mix raw unfiltered apple vinegar with water in same proportions.
- Soak a piece of cloth in the solution and apply on the affected armpit.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat procure for 2 times a day for one week.
- While doing this you can also mix little raw apple cider vinegar with honey and drink twice daily.
- Lemon Juice
Lemon has anti-inflammatory properties as well as vitamin C suitable for reducing pain and pain. You can get rid of armpit lump by use of this ingredient. Here is how to go about it;
- Obtain fresh lemon fruits and squeeze to extract juice.
- Dip a cotton ball in the juice and directly apply on the lump and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the same 3 times a day for a period of one week.
- At the same time mix a little lemon juice with honey and drink twice a day for a week.
Garlic is a strong antifungal and antibacterial ingredient suitable for the treatment of armpit lumps. It can either be applied directly or be consumed in food. Here is how to use;
- Make a paste of garlic cloves and apply on the affected area and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat two or three times a day.
- During the treatment also include garlic in your meals.
- Aloe Vera
This is a medicinal plant that has strong anti-inflammatory properties. It also stimulate faster healing by reducing the pain and swelling. To get rid of lump under armpit using aloe vera here is what to do;
- Obtain a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Apply the gel to the affected area and gently massage in a circular motion.
- Leave it in for 30 minutes then wash it with cold water.
- Repeat three times a day for one week.
- Coconut Oil
The oil has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties hence suitable for getting rid of lump under armpit. It enhances faster healing due to its moisturizing property. Here is how to use;
- Warm some coconut oil and apply it on the affected area while it is still warm. Gently massage the area in a circular motion to enable the oil act on the swelling.
- Repeat 3 times a day for a period of one week.
- Include 1 teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your meals daily for faster healing.
This ingredient contains strong antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties hence suitable to use to treat lump in armpit. Here is what to do;
- Make a paste by mixing little amount of turmeric powder with honey.
- Apply on the affected area and leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat 3 times daily for one week.
- During the treatment also drink a glass of warm turmeric milk daily for faster healing.
- Keep the armpits clean and dry by regular washing using antibacterial soap. This helps in reducing the activities of bacterial and fungal infection under your armpits.
- Avoid shaving your armpits while you have a lump. This can further aggravate the condition.
- Cut on spicy foods since they cause more sweating hence more bacterial formation.
- Avoid intake of caffeine or smoking since it can delay the healing process.
- Stay hydrated most of the time by taking more fluid. Consume food substance with more vitamin E.
Seek medical attention from the doctor is the symptoms of lump under armpit persists.
- Armpit Lumps in Women: http://www.healthline.com/health/armpit-lump#InWomen3
- Lumps and swellings : http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lumps-swellings/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Pea Sized Lump in Armpit: http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Pea-Sized-Lump-in-Armpit.html
- Pain Management Health Center: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/picture-of-the-armpit